1. Where are you from?
I am from a small farm town, Durand, Illinois.
2. What first started your interest in agronomy?
Growing up on a farm I always had an aspiration to pursue a degree in agriculture. Around my sophomore year in High School I started to look at different degrees and careers in agriculture. Agronomy seemed like the perfect fit for me because it allowed me to get a job where I would be doing hands on work, while being able to make a difference on the world we live in.
3. What are some of the main issues for society that you are concerned about?
I would love to pursue a career in Bio-Fuels. With the increasing population and use of fossil fuels, I believe that looking for renewable energy sources will be imperative in the coming years.
4. Do you have any advice for those thinking about continuing their education to address the issues you’ve mentioned?
Give Agronomy a chance! Studying Agronomy opens doors to numerous opportunities to make a difference in the world we are living in.
5. Why did you choose Iowa State University?
I chose to study at Iowa State University because of the prestige of the College of Agriculture, and the overall care the Agronomy professors have for their students.
6. What was your first year at Iowa State like?
I am only half way through my first year at Iowa State but up till now, it really has been an adventure! Being from out of state, I have made a ton of new friends while receiving a great education at the same time. I have also learned the importance of time management; there is always something that needs to get done!
7. You have a faculty adviser, how has your experience been with him?
My experience with my adviser has been excellent! His door is always open and I can discuss anything I am having a problem with, with him.
8. What has been your favorite class?
My favorite class that I have been in so far is Agronomy 206 (Intro to Weather and Climate). The subjects are interesting while Dr. Hornbuckle keeps you active and participating during class.
9. What has been your favorite experience in the agronomy program?
My favorite experience as a student of Agronomy has been all the support I have received from all of the Agronomy Department. From student mentors, to teaching assistants, to the actual professors, everyone here wants you to succeed.
10. Do you participate in any student organizations?
Yes! I am a member of the Agronomy Club, and Delta Tau Delta Fraternity here at Iowa State.
11. Any advice for those considering a major in agronomy?
Research it! If you take time to learn about Agronomy, you will notice that there are numerous careers and opportunities that a degree in it can get you.
12. Ten years from now, what do you want to be doing?
Ten years from now I would like to be settled into a career at some form of Ethanol/Bio Energy plant!